Thursday, April 7, 2016

WEEK 9 - Rainbow Kitten Surprise

Okay, okay, this will be the only alternative/indie-pop band I will EVER share with anyone in my entire life. I usually can’t stand most “underground” indie bands’ predictable style and vanilla sound, but Rainbow Kitten Surprise really earned my respect. My friend introduced me to this band quite a few months ago, and I still regularly visit their music on my iPod today.


Rainbow Kitten Surprise hails from the mountains of Boone, North Carolina. The members include Sam Melo on lead vocals, Darrick Keller on acoustic guitar and vocals, Ethan Goodpaster on lead guitar and vocals, Charlie Holt on bass, and Jess Haney on drums. As you may have noticed, this band has three members capable of singing quite well, and that allows for some really fascinating harmonies. The bassist and lead guitar are also very impressive musicians. Rainbow Kitten Surprise released their first album, Seven + Mary, in 2013, and their second album, RKS, in mid-2015.

My motivation for not passing by this undiscovered indie band stems directly from their unique sound. They’re not afraid to mix modern textures, like sampled drums and guitar distortions, with the very folksy timbre of the lead singer’s voice and the acoustic guitar. The blend captivated my interest from the first few moments of the first song I heard, and I had to explore more.


That first song was called, “Devil Like Me,” off Seven + Mary; It tells the tragic story of a relationship destroyed by alcoholism. Sam Melo’s voice adds a level of depth and authenticity to the atmosphere of the piece that I rarely hear in most music today. His voice just fits the composition beautifully. The central acoustic guitar theme also hooks the listener and sets a sobering mood. Another favorite song of mine is “First Class,” about the struggle of making it in the modern world. The vocal harmonies in this song blew me away. All three vocalists come together to create one gorgeous, ethereal voice. The band does a nice job combining slow, pensive sections with faster parts where they almost chant the lyrics. I also thoroughly enjoy “Shameful Company,” where the song transitions seamlessly between verses, choruses, and instrumental sections. The drummer particularly demonstrates his musicality by laying down a mellow rhythm with the ride cymbal and brushes on the snare to help the song flow.


I highly recommend you check these guys out! Whether you like folk, rock, country, contemporary, or indie, you will undoubtedly find something intriguing in this band’s music. Watch the music video for “Devil Like Me”, and then listen to “First Class!” Enjoy the unique sound of the immensely talented members of Rainbow Kitten Surprise.     

1 comment:

  1. Now that you mentioned it, indie music is really predictable... but then again, so is mainstream pop. Silly modern musicians. It would be nice to listen to something new, so I'll definitely be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete